Working from home isn’t all yoga pants and coffee breaks.
Every minute of the day we’re distracted by hungry little monsters (“Mama, more milk!”), piles of laundry that we just can’t seem to get to the bottom of, a phone buzzing with constant social media alerts.
How do we find time to get any work done at all? *deep breath*
Establishing productive habits is the key ingredient to this work from home thing.
In order to be successful we have to find the little ways to be more productive, because they all add up.
I’ve talked with many other home-based business owners to get their tips for being productive.
Just adding a few of these to your routine can help you find a better balance and get more stuff done!
- Get started on work in the a.m. before everyone else wakes up.
- Hire help to watch your kids for a couple of hours during the week so you can work.
- Prepare meals ahead of time so that you can spend less time cooking.
- Plan out your work week on Sunday evenings.
- Schedule social media posts using sites like Planoly, Tailwind & SmarterQueue.
- Pick one day a month where you work solely on your business for the entire day.
- Schedule email newsletters in advance and keep a GoogleDoc of ideas for future emails.
- Turn off social media and other distractions while working.
- Set aside time just for for catching up on podcasts, videos and newsletters.
- Keep healthy snacks and water near your work area.
- Invest in a laptop so you can move your work space around.
- Take your kids to the library or playground and bring your laptop with you.
- Plan out snacks and drinks for your kids the night before. Prefill all cups and bottles.
- Ask a friend to watch your kids in exchange for watching their kids on another day.
- Get yourself dressed, put on makeup and do your hair before anyone wakes up.
- Invest in a crock pot so you can make easy meals ahead of time.
- Put a sign up on your desk that lets your kids know if it’s ok to bother you or not.
- Get outside and give yourself plenty of breaks.
- Make a list of small attainable tasks for each day.
- Stock up on DVDs and DVR shows that your kids like to watch.
Pin this list and read it later!
For more tips read my interviews with successful WAHMs
What do you think of this article? Do you have any questions for me? Ask me in the comments box below!
Get Updates. Inbox Style.
Sign up to receive my weekly emails with branding + business tips.